Thursday, December 5, 2013

Strong and Feminine

"Third place Hawaii Ironman finisher Kienle said, and I quote, "It's become a last man standing kind of race.  Before you'd have twenty guys all together at the start of the run.  That won't happen anymore.  The fact that (women's winner Mirinda Carfrae) ran faster that ll of us (this year) just goes to show how hard the bike ride has become."  That's funny, dude, we all thought it showed how much of bad chick Mirinda Carfrae is."
-- Ali Wick Meeks

It's interesting to me that the idea of inferiority of women still permeates so much of society.  I remember when I had to have a surgery and my surgeon was a woman.  A part of me wished it was a man because somewhere along the line, I was taught to believe that a man would be better at "those"things.  I quickly vanquished those thoughts, and remembered how AWESOME my doctor is!  But it made me realize, that ideas about women have been subtly and not so subtly infused in our mindset.  Here's to the women who constantly demonstrate a love for being a woman, gentle and kind, AND strong and powerful.

And might I add Mr. Kienle, you may be right about one thing.  It may be the "last man standing kind of race", because all the women have already crossed the finish line.

If you don't know who Mirinda Carfrae is, check our her video from triathlon competitor and her attitude towards her body, sport, and femininity.  It's interesting even if you aren't a triathlete.
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/10/video/inside-triathlons-body-shoot-mirinda-carfrae_82326

I dedicate this post to my dear friend, Ali Wick Meeks, who's joyful passion for life and strong belief system has always inspired me.  You are the epitome of grace and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment