Friday, December 13, 2013

Submission isn't a BAD word

Gabrielle Reece is one of my all time favorite athletes. As a young woman, I connected with her story and her pursuit of excellence. (She is a total bad a**)  Recently, she wrote a book, which is on my to-do list, and was heavily criticized for her comment on being submissive.  I'm not sure why the word submissive has gotten such a bad connotation. Submissive doesn't mean you are a lesser person or a weak person. It definitely doesn't mean when the ice tea glass is shaken at you that you "hop to" to go fill it up.

By definition, it is "the action of yielding to the will of another person". Usually the verb "force", is used to give action to submission, but submission isn't always a wrestling match to see who is stronger. I don't submit to everyone, but I do submit to some. I love my sister. I submit to her and she to me. When I apologize, I am submitting. I am saying- "I was wrong and you were right." I am yielding to the will and the rights of her. Submitting to people requires humility, compromise, and kindness. It means you don't ALWAYS have to have your way. This is also an action done out of intimacy and love, therefore, it doesn't apply to just anyone. Submission doesn't make you a lesser person, but rather a stronger one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/04/gabrielle-reece-submissiveness-out-of-context_n_3211910.html

p.s.  To the women out there who this really pisses off- Just remember, feminism shouldn't be designed to put people down, but to allow equal opportunity for all to rise up.

Stay Psyched.  Work Hard.  Love your life.
Always-
a

No comments:

Post a Comment